The Magnesium Sulfate Description and Applications
Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) or commonly known as Epsom salt, is an organic magnesium salt that has sulfate as the counterion. It works like a cardiovascular drug, an anticonvulsant, a calcium channel blocker, a tocolytic agent, an anaesthetic, an anti-arrhythmia drug, an analgesic and a fertilizer.
It appears to be a white salt which has no odour. Its molecular weight/ molar mass is 120.366 g/mol and has a density of about (Anhydrous) 2.66 g/cm3. It has a bitter and saline taste. Its melting point is 1,124 °C.
Magnesium Sulfate is a colourless crystal that has usage as an anticonvulsant, a cathartic, and an electrolyte replenisher for treating pre-eclampsia and eclampsia. It is used to prepare intravenous magnesium, which is essential in treating eclampsia. It is mainly employed as a bath soak to prevent sore muscles and to relax the sprain and bruise pain. It also removes splinters effectively. Furthermore, it has application as a laxative for relieving occasional constipation. In the agricultural sector, it helps boost the soil’s magnesium and sulphur content. Other uses that employ the product include as a brewing salt in beer making, as a coagulant to make tofu, and as a desiccant in organic synthesis.
The Magnesium Sulfate Production Cost Process
- Magnesium Sulfate Production from Magnesium Carbonate: The production of Magnesium Sulfate is carried out by reacting magnesium carbonate and sulfuric acid. In this process, magnesium carbonate gets treated with sulfuric acid resulting in magnesium sulfate.
Prominent Players Operating in the Magnesium Sulfate Market
- PQ Corporation– The company is a global leader in providing silicas, silicates, and derivative products that allow improvements in the environment and consumer products and enhance personal safety. They aim to use their value-added products to address global matters and are mostly inorganic and carbon-free, contributing towards improving the planet’s sustainability.
- Umai Chemical Co. Ltd.- The company, which previously produced salt, is a manufacturer of inorganic chemical products like purified magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) and also a trading company specializing in chemical products with more than 300 types of chemical products.
- Laizhou Guangcheng Chemical Co.– The company has a comprehensive QC management system and an experienced line of production. It specializes in manufacturing and trading sulfamic acid and magnesium sulfate, annually producing 10,000 tons of Sulfamic acid and 150,000 tons of magnesium sulfate.
- Giles Chemical– The company operating in the United States is a manufacturer and seller of magnesium sulfate, offering crystal and liquid magnesium sulfate and Epsom salt for applications including food, plants and animals, pharmaceutical, and retail applications.
Magnesium Sulfate Price Trend Analysis
The magnesium sulfate prices kept following a northward momentum recently. The inrush of expensive goods from the exporting countries led to the rise in the Magnesium Sulphate market in the local region. Furthermore, the inflationary pressures also caused a curb in production activities in the United States market. Considering the demand, the downstream fertilizer market’s inquiries were considerably lower since the impact of the off-season was evident. In addition, natural gas prices have been fluctuating as well, and the aggressive rises in Federal Reserve’s interest rate to calm inflation put pressure on the economy.
The cost of Magnesium Sulfate initially dropped and was later stable in the regional Chinese market. The stiff inflationary pressures, along with unsteady financial conditions, led to a decline in procurement from the European and US markets. Also, the exports remained on the lower side, which led to a drop in manufacturers’ quotations. On the upstream price front, costs of Sulphuric Acid have dropped consistently. In addition, the imposed COVID restrictions pressured the trading activities for major bulk chemicals, that includes Magnesium Sulfate. But, the supply chain stayed unchanged as the plants worked at a stable rate, despite the subdued levels of consumption amidst lockdowns.
Recently, Magnesium Sulfate prices displayed a bullish trend in the market. The growing prices of natural gas and electricity have pushed the manufacturers to slash production since they were incapable of passing on the spike in prices to the end-use sectors. Natural gas is extensively employed for producing downstream fertilizers, and operations in Europe have turned non-profitable because of rising prices. This resulted in the Magnesium Sulphate procurement to remain weak. In addition, inflation was also at an all-time high exceeding 10%, and the buying sentiment dwindled.
Read Also: Try Gurully for PTE, IELTS, DUOLINGO & CELPIP Practice: Here’s Why
- 23 Jan 2023- The Programme For Using Magnesium Sulfate For Preventing Cerebral Palsy In Premature Babies Has Proven Effective.
A programme to boost the usage of magnesium sulfate, an injection that can help prevent cerebral palsy in premature babies, has been deemed effective, per a National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR) funded evaluation. These conclusions analysed by the University of Bristol’s researchers are published in the Disease in Childhood Archives.
Key Exporters and Importers of Magnesium Sulfate
- Magnesium Sulfate Exports and Imports:The leading Exporters of Magnesium Sulfate are China, Germany, Ireland, India and Japan, and the top importers of the commodity are the United States, Finland, Malaysia, France, and Saudi Arabia.
The Magnesium Sulfate blog covers various aspects of the market, including its description, properties, key uses, production processes, major players, pricing trends, the latest market developments, and export and import countries. This post focuses on the key market players functioning worldwide and the pricing trends focusing on the supply and demand dynamics. Hence, owing to these crucial aspects covered in the post, the industry leaders can gain in-depth insight into the market and over the competitive landscape that can provide them with a competitive edge over other player.