In addition to experienced users of Android devices, many newcomers are aware of the fact that virtual private networks (VPNs) can be used to establish a secure and anonymous connection to the global network. However, the majority of Android owners unreasonably believe that setting up a VPN requires specialized skills, not the abilities of an average individual. It is incorrect to think that anyone can set up a device when detailed instructions are clearly displayed in front of them.
What is a VPN and why do you need it
A virtual private network (VPN) is a way of assembling multiple devices into one logical network over a network that already exists (such as the Internet). The user is able to do the following when connected to a VPN:
Ensure that your Android’s file system is malware-free.
You will remain anonymous (no one will know what sites you visited or what you discussed on social networks or instant messengers);
By using this service, you will be able to bypass censorship and regional restrictions and access sites that aren’t accessible via regular connections (such as casino websites and torrent distribution sites).
Without resorting to additional software, Android OS is capable of setting up a VPN with only its built-in tools. An IPSEC, L2TP, or PPTP VPN connection is established.
How to connect and configure without using additional programs
A VPN provider must be chosen, you must decide on a tariff (the company’s website will provide you with a list), and you must pay for the service before you can connect and set up your device. A free VPN service can be found here:
A free and unlimited traffic tariff is offered by the last provider, FRServer. Passwords, server addresses, and usernames must be rewritten.
Then proceed like this:
1. Follow the “More” submenu in the “Wireless networks” section of the “Settings” menu on your smartphone (tablet).
2. Select the line “VPN
3. After setting the screen lock pin and password, the next step is to activate the screen lock. “Yes” (“OK”) should appear in the window. Describe the pin code in the field “Pin code.” with any four digits. Setting the pin code is best written down – it will come in handy in the future.
4. If there is an “Add VPN network” option, click on that and add a new connection.
5. The following fields need to be filled out in the window that appears:
- “Network name” – you can name it whatever you like.
- “Type” – choose PPTP.
- „Server address“ – Here you will enter the address of the VPN server where you want to connect.
6. Please click “Save” once you have filled out all the fields. The VPN list will display a new connection, and a notification icon in the Notification Panel will indicate that the connection is ready. Upon connecting to a VPN, the Notification Panel displays an icon
7. By clicking this icon, you can check the current status of your connection.
You can view statistics by clicking the icon in the “Notification Panel.”
Android will ask you for a username and password when you first try to connect to a VPN. When you save the credentials, you won’t have to enter them the next time you connect – simply check the box next to “Save credentials” after entering the data.
Common problems when setting up a VPN and how to fix them
Error 651. Connection failed
VPN connections are most commonly affected by this error. Quite simply, the network is not operating correctly. To fix this error, verify that your 3G or Wi-Fi connection is secure, as well as that your network parameters are correct. Taking advantage of automatic settings is recommended, once they have been requested by the operator. Since the VPN is connected above the main connection, it is also important to have 3G coverage.
Connection error 691
This error occurs when incorrect data is entered. Verify the login information and password specified for the server. You should try deactivating your antivirus (if your Android has one) and connecting to your VPN network again after making sure that the data was entered correctly.
In the event that the above steps have not worked, you must contact the VPN provider’s technical support – the issue may lie with them.
Connection error 619
Whenever an antivirus program or firewall blocks the VPN connection on Android mobile devices, this error appears. If you want to connect to the VPN while protection is disabled, you will have to disable it or find new software that is “tolerant”.
How to disable VPN on Android?
- The Android “Notification Panel” displays an indicator of an active VPN connection. A VPN connection indicator appears in the “Notification Panel.”
2. Click on the indicator and click “Disable” to open a window with statistics and a cancel/disable button.
3. The VPN connection will be terminated when you click on the “Disconnect” button.
Video: Setting up a VPN connection on Android
VPN connections allow them to bypass all types of blocking when visiting sites, as well as protect their Android devices from viruses. Despite this, it is expensive to use a VPN service. You may encounter pitfalls, such as traffic limits, if it is free.